A weekly summary of trending news & commentary for busy talent acquisition technology execs and professionals.
“Here’s the headline from Monster’s new 2018 State of Recruiting Survey, and it’s a big one: In 2018, ‘it’s harder than ever to attract high-quality job candidates.’
OK, if you’ve been paying attention I doubt you’re surprised by that insight, but the real story from this new report isn’t in the broad trends but in the specific numbers.
• Some 62 percent of recruiters ‘say their job is more difficult today than it was a year ago,’ and 67 percent say it is more difficult than it was five years ago.
• Additionally, 59 percent of respondents say it is more difficult to get quality candidates than it was in 2017, and 62 percent say it’s more difficult than it was five years ago.
Yes, it’s not surprising that it’s getting more difficult for recruiters, but the big news here is how widespread that feeling is. When nearly two-thirds of recruiters say their job is a lot tougher than it was last year, well, that tells you that the entire talent acquisition process has gotten a lot more difficult in a very short time.”
John Hollan, Monster’s Survey Makes it Clear: Recruiting Just Got Harder & TA Pros Need to Switch Gears, ERE, August 30, 2018
Movers & Shakers
The Winners of the 2018 Recruiting Service Innovation Awards – the only accolades that celebrate those who are Optimizing the Recruiter’s Experience – will be presented at the TAtech Fall Congress & World Job Board Forum on September 27-29, 2018 in New Orleans.
The Winner of the 2018 Daywalt Future Leaders Scholarship – recognizing the rising business and thought leaders of the talent acquisition technology industry – will also be announced at the TAtech Fall Congress & World Job Board Forum.
Job Boards, Social Media Sites & Recruitment Advertising
In the U.S. for the month of April, Statista says that Google owned 63.5 percent of search, with Microsoft properties, powered by Bing, owned 24 percent. Google is the 800-pound gorilla, for sure, so when it launched Google for Jobs last year, the hype around it was undoubtedly justified. Microsoft isn’t sitting on its hands, however. Head on over to Bing and do a job search and there’s a good chance you’ll get a Google for Jobs-like search result. The look and feel are nearly identical to Google: Ad, with one huge difference. The highlighted job search results are only jobs posted on LinkedIn. That’s a stark contrast to Google, which lists a wide variety of sources, including the usual suspects, like ZipRecruiter and Monster. Advantage: LinkedIn. Source: Joel Cheesman, ERE
Sourcing, Matching, Assessing, Communicating (SMAC) Technology
Google unveiled the Titan Security Key, a two-factor authentication (2FA) token that should improve your security and make it harder, if not impossible, for hackers to breach your online accounts that support 2FA protection. The Titan Security Key sells for $50 in the Google store right now and includes a Bluetooth key, a USB key, and the connectors that you might need. If Titan Security Key sounds familiar to you, that’s because Google made it available to Google Cloud users last month. But the security dongle is available right now to anyone who thinks they need stronger protection for their Google accounts and other online properties. Source: BGR
AI & Machine Learning
AllyO, the end-to-end AI recruiter, announced the latest advancement to its recruiting solution: AllyO New Hire Check-ins. While AllyO has traditionally assisted organizations and candidates through their entire hiring funnel from “Hi to Hire,” the addition of New Hire Check-ins allows AllyO to be the single point-of-contact for everyone involved across hiring and retention – including recruiters, talent acquisition leaders, hiring managers, candidates and current employees. Source: Media Release
Circa 2118: What Will Humans Do When Machines Take Over – the must-read book of 2018. Evoking the clarion call of the 21st century – if you see something, say something – Peter Weddle has penned a stunningly provocative portrait of the rise of super-C machines in the American workplace. Animated by ultra-intelligent, ultra-intuitive, ultra-empathetic technology, these byte-collar workers will cause near universal unemployment among Americans within the next one hundred years. Weddle, however, doesn’t agree with Hollywood. He acknowledges that the period between now and circa 2118 will test the nation’s character – in fact he calls it a Second Middle Ages – but he believes America will not be dominated by machines, but instead be liberated by them.
Industry Standards & Best Practices
Led by Co-Chairs, Thad Price and Richard Collins, TAtech is launching the next phase of the International Working Group on Traffic Quality. Click here to see the Declaration on Traffic Quality produced by the first phase. If you’d like to be a part of this unique group that is setting definitions and standards for online recruitment advertising, please contact Peter Weddle at email@example.com. The Group is open to all publishers worldwide.
TAprose and TAtech Global News Bulletin are brought to you by TAtech: The Association for Talent Acquisition Solutions.
Mark Your Calendars! TAtech’s 2018 events include:
• February 12-13, 2018 Scottsdale, Arizona USA: The TAtech Leadership Summit on AI/Machine Learning in Talent Acquisition – the only conference totally focused on the capabilities and impact of AI/ML/NLP in recruitment, founded by Paradox.ai. See you next year!
• March 13-14, 2018 Dublin, Ireland: TAtechEurope 2018 – the premier event for recruitment advertising and technology thought & business leaders in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. See you next year!
• April 18-19, 2018 Las Vegas, Nevada USA: The TAtech Spring Congress & Meetup – a unique conference designed to maximize opportunities for B2B networking, trending topic discussions and the exploration of partnerships and business opportunities. See you next year!
• June 5-6, 2018 Minneapolis, Minnesota USA: The TAtech Leadership Summit on Programmatic Ad Buying – the only conference totally focused on the technology and applications of programmatic ad buying by both publishers and advertisers, founded by Appcast. See you next year!
• September 26-27, 2018 Bourbon Street New Orleans, Louisiana USA: The TAtech Fall Congress & World Job Board Forum – the Global Economic Forum of recruiting, this event brings together thought & business leaders from job boards and all other talent acquisition technology solutions companies around the world.