A weekly summary of trending news & commentary for busy talent acquisition technology execs and professionals.
“We won’t experience it. Whether we’re twenty-five or sixty-five, a white-collar office worker or a blue-collar laborer, we won’t be affected. At least, not most of us and certainly not to its fullest and most disruptive extent. But, those who follow after us – our future families – will. Those generations will be totally immersed in it. They will live with it, know nothing else but it, and be shaped forever by it. The arrival of a new era in the history of humankind. A redefinition of that most fundamental aspect of our lives – work…
“In the space of just five generations, the human workforce will go from being coveted and acquired as “talent,” to being dismissed and discarded as irrelevant. Today’s so-called War for Talent will have come to an end, but with an unexpected outcome – machines will have emerged as the victors. Every job now performed by a human will be done instead by more capable algorithms and robots. One hundred years from now – circa 2118 and beyond – super strong and ultra-intelligent machines will end the employment of people.”
Peter Weddle, Circa 2118: What Humans Will do When Machines Take Over (due out September 1, 2018)
Movers & Shakers
Laura Eaton joined Kinetix as VP of Client Advocacy. She’s has held leadership positions at FutureStep and Recruitment Enhancement Services and was most recently with the IBM Talent Acquisition Organization.
Derek Schoettle has been appointed CEO of Waltham, MA-headquartered ZoomInfo, which provides B2B contact and business information. Great Hill Partners, a Boston-based private equity firm that provides private capital to finance the expansion, recapitalization, or acquisition of growth, acquired ZoomInfo in August 2017.
Recruitics announced the following appointments:
• Adam Stafford as President to oversee company operations, provide delivery and strategic support to the business, including product, engineering, platform, ad, and agency operations.
• Julie Calli as Chief Strategy Officer to provide strategic oversight and direction in product and customer offerings.
• Jonathan Zila as Managing Director for the Atlanta office overseeing the growing Southeast region.
• Niki McKee as a Managing Director for the New York City office in charge of enterprise Northeast operations.
• Brian Rowe as Managing Director for the London office overseeing all European-based day-to-day business and operations.
• Cory Kapner as Managing Director for Recruitics’ Automated Marketing Platform (AMP).
• KC Clark as Managing Director for Recruitics’ SaaS products.
Job Boards, Social Media Sites & Recruitment Advertising
Bright Network, a London, UK-based media technology platform which enables blue-chip employers to reach, identify and recruit high-quality graduates and young professionals, raised £2.5m in funding. The round was led by Maven Capital Partners (£2.15m came from Maven VCTs) with participation from existing and new angel shareholders (£0.4m). The company intends to use the funds to invest in sales and marketing for its existing enterprise platform and also launch a new SaaS service for the fragmented SME market. Source: FINSMES
SmartJobBoard announced the addition of a resume parser to its job board platform. In a post on the platform’s blog, Rodion Telpizov wrote, “Advantages of having a resume parser are well known. Users on your site will not get frustrated, wasting their time on manually filling in online based resume. Having resume filled in automatically results in convenient service provided and users’ positive experience as a whole. But what is most important, resume parsing positively influences on application rates. We have found out that there is an overall increase of apply rate to up to 50% thanks to having a resume parser available.” Source: SmartJobBoard blog
Sourcing, Matching, Assessing, Communicating (SMAC) Technology
Altru, part of the recent winter batch at Techstars NYC, is already working with companies like L’Oréal, Dell and Unilever. Now, the company has announced that it’s raised $1.3 million in new funding led by Birchmere Ventures. Its product powers a page on a company’s website that highlights videos from real employees answering questions that potential hires might be asking. The videos are searchable (thanks to Altru’s transcriptions), and they also can be shared on social media. Since these videos are posted to the company website, with the employees’ name and face attached, they may not always feel comfortable being completely honest, particularly about a company’s flaws. But at least it’s a message coming from a regular person, not the corporate-speak of a recruiter or manager. Source: TechCrunch
Bullhorn®, the cloud computing company that helps staffing and recruiting organizations transform their businesses, announced that it has acquired Invenias, a UK-headquartered provider of cloud-based software for executive search firms. The transaction closed on July 24, 2018; terms will not be disclosed. Invenias will continue to deliver high levels of service to their customer base of 1,000 executive search customers who choose the company for its flexible, mobile-optimized SaaS solutions tailored for strategic hiring to drive productivity and build relationships. Source: BusinessWire
The text-based interview platform Canvas announced that they will be integrating their mobile app with Snap Inc.’s (Snapchat’s parent company) Bitmoji Kit, giving both applicants and hiring managers the ability to personalize and communicate with the sticker avatars while interviewing. As the first HR tech platform to leverage the power of personalized avatars, the Canvas platform has integrated with Bitmoji Kit to add a greater sense of personality to a text-based job interview. Canvas users can easily send and receive Bitmojis, adding depth and personality to text interviews and recruiting conversations. Bitmoji was the number one downloaded Apple iOS app in 2017. Canvas plans to launch Bitmoji Kit web API integration in the next quarter. Source: JobsPortalWatch
AI & Machine Learning
Plum today announced that the University of Waterloo will pilot its predictive hiring platform to help better connect its 21,000+ students with the 6,900 employers that recruit from the university each year. The Plum platform marries artificial intelligence and machine-learning with Industrial Organizational Psychology to give hiring managers an additional, distinct dimension by which to predict candidates’ on-the-job performance: talent. This pilot aims to enhance service to students and employers, and increase success for campus career service counselors. Source: Cision
Sneak Preview: Circa 2118: What Will Humans Do When Machines Take Over due out in September 2018. Evoking the clarion call of the 21st century – if you see something, say something – Peter Weddle has penned a stunningly provocative portrait of the rise of super-C machines in the American workplace. Animated by ultra-intelligent, ultra-intuitive, ultra-empathetic technology, these byte-collar workers will cause near universal unemployment among Americans within the next one hundred years. Weddle, however, doesn’t agree with Hollywood. He acknowledges that the period between now and circa 2118 will test the nation’s character – in fact he calls it a Second Middle Ages – but he believes America will not be dominated by machines, but instead be liberated by them.
Industry Standards & Best Practices
Led by Co-Chairs, Thad Price and Richard Collins, TAtech is launching the next phase of the International Working Group on Traffic Quality. Click here to see the Declaration on Traffic Quality produced by the first phase. If you’d like to be a part of this unique group that is setting definitions and standards for online recruitment advertising, please contact Peter Weddle at email@example.com. The Group is open to all publishers worldwide.
TAprose and TAtech Global News Bulletin are brought to you by TAtech: The Association for Talent Acquisition Solutions.
Mark Your Calendars! TAtech’s 2018 events include:
• February 12-13, 2018 Scottsdale, Arizona USA: The TAtech Leadership Summit on AI/Machine Learning in Talent Acquisition – the only conference totally focused on the capabilities and impact of AI/ML/NLP in recruitment. See you next year!
• March 13-14, 2018 Dublin, Ireland: TAtechEurope 2018 – the premier event for recruitment advertising and technology thought & business leaders in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. See you next year!
• April 18-19, 2018 Las Vegas, Nevada USA: The TAtech Spring Congress & Meetup – a unique conference designed to maximize opportunities for B2B networking, trending topic discussions and the exploration of partnerships and business opportunities. See you next year!
• June 5-6, 2018 Minneapolis, Minnesota USA: The TAtech Leadership Summit on Programmatic Ad Buying – the only conference for both publishers and advertisers that is totally focused on the technology and applications of programmatic ad buying for talent acquisition. See you next year!
• September 26-27, 2018 Bourbon Street New Orleans, Louisiana USA: The TAtech Fall Congress & World Job Board Forum – the Global Economic Forum of recruiting, this event brings together thought & business leaders from job boards and all other talent acquisition technology solutions companies around the world.